5/05/2005|||111533258391145283||||||
CHORUS LINE, PARTY LINE

There I was, enjoying Janie Dee's breezy performance at the Shaw Theatre when she broke off from the song and dance to recite Harold Pinter's poem, "God Bless America". You know, the blood-soaked one that rails at "The Yanks in their armoured parade..."

I'm not really surprised by this kind of thing any more. Just a couple of weeks after 9/11, I heard Kate Dimbleby cover Randy Newman's "Political Science" (a brilliant number, even if you don't care for the sentiments). As soon as she'd finished, she tore down the Stars and Stripes which had appeared at the back of the set.

That really did shock me. Now, I almost expect it to happen.
|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/05/chorus-line-party-line-there-i-was.html|||5/05/2005 11:36:00 pm|||||||||
|||