3/17/2005|||111109882173764802||||||
ST PATRICK'S DAY

I can't help it. The more I hear of Martin McGuinness and his genial little threats, the more I think of the Piranha Brothers:

Interviewer: I've been told Dinsdale Piranha nailed your head to the floor.
Stig: No. Never. He was a smashing bloke. He used to buy his mother flowers and that. He was like a brother to me.
Interviewer: But the police have film of Dinsdale actually nailing your head to the floor.
Stig: (pause) Oh yeah, he did that.
Interviewer: Why?
Stig: Well he had to, didn't he? I mean there was nothing else he could do, be fair. I had transgressed the unwritten law.
Interviewer: What had you done?
Stig: Er... well he didn't tell me that, but he gave me his word that it was the case, and that's good enough for me with old Dinsy. I mean, he didn't want to nail my head to the floor. I had to insist. He wanted to let me off. He'd do anything for you, Dinsdale would.

Slugger O'Toole has been keeping watch on reactions to the IRA's antics. He also has a background piece on the Robert McCartney affair

UPDATE: Broom of Anger, an American living in Belfast, gives Gerry Adams a dressing-down:

I've seen my neighbors murdered, beaten, tortured by the IRA. I have been picketed by Sinn Fein for speaking out against those very things. Myself and my husband have been vilified by your apparatus, yourself included and your cohorts in leadership precisely because we have attempted to raise our voices for justice. For democracy. For republicanism. For human rights.

|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/03/st-patricks-day-i-cant-help-it.html|||3/17/2005 10:16:00 pm|||||||||
|||