3/24/2005|||111166097878356979||||||
QUOTABLE

In July 1971, Mrs B, who was in good general health and not given to "hunches", had a sudden premonition of death, so clear and peremptory that she phoned up her daughter. "Come and see me today," she said. "There’ll be no tomorrow… No, I feel quite well… Nothing is bothering me, but I know I shall die in my sleep tonight."

Her tone was quite sober and factual, wholly unexcited, and it carried such conviction that we started wondering, and obtained blood-counts, cardiograms, etc, etc (which were all quite normal). In the evening Mrs B went around the ward, with a laughter-silencing dignity, shaking hands and saying "Good-bye" to everyone there.

She went to bed and she died in the night.

Oliver Sacks, "Awakenings"

|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/03/quotable-in-july-1971-mrs-b-who-was-in.html|||3/24/2005 10:40:00 am|||||||||
|||