2/06/2005|||110772596913994394||||||
A CLASSIC RE-VISITED

Well, that was odd. The last time I watched "The Night of the Hunter", a decade or so ago, I thought it was close to being a masterpiece (as does everyone else, by the look of it.) Last night we all sat down to watch it as a family, and thought it was over-heated tosh. So many inconsistencies, so many loop-holes... Why did Robert Mitchum dump Shelley Winter's body in such shallow water, and why on earth did the old man who found her think he would be a suspect if he went to the police? Even odder: I realized I'd forgotten almost everything about the first hour of the film.

All that was left in the end was a string of artfully-lit, Expressionist shots. But not much of a story in between. I've never experienced quite as sharp a change of mind about a film. Baffling....
|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/02/classic-re-visited-well-that-was-odd.html|||2/06/2005 09:19:00 pm|||||||||
|||