1/14/2005|||110569878946693104||||||
TROUBLE IN TIMES SQUARE

Taking his cue from Business Week, Hoover's Stanley Kurtz analyses the New York Times' state of health and delivers a gloomy verdict:
"Even given what the Times has become under Pinch Sulzberger, it pains me to say that I wish the paper ill. The Times offers detailed and high quality reporting–especially on developments outside the U.S.–that no other paper can match. But I do wish The New York Times ill. As I see it, NYT has discredited itself in lasting fashion. Jayson Blair is the least of it. I read the paper with far more suspicion now than I did even a few years ago, and I read it with far more suspicion then than a few years before that.

"I hope the Times decides to insist on paid subscriptions from online readers. That may give a temporary boost to the paper’s bottom line, but it will vastly contract readership. In the long run, lost readership will damage the paper’s prestige, limit its cultural reach, and probably cut into profitability. It’s gratifying to see the Times forced to choose between long term health and influence and short-term profits. As I say, it’s a shame to want to see misfortune befall a paper that still upholds an unmatched standard of quality in certain kinds of news coverage. Yet The New York Times has discredited itself."

|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/01/trouble-in-times-square-taking-his-cue.html|||1/14/2005 10:27:00 am|||||||||
|||