1/25/2005|||110664712476907820||||||
THE LAST WORD?

After all the huffing and puffing we've all indulged in over the Jerry Springer opera affair, I thought it would be worth quoting the man himself. This is the first time I've seen him comment on the censorship debate:
Jerry Springer said today that the opera based on his show was offensive to Christians and added that he would not have written it himself. The US talk show host said he understood why thousands of Christians had protested about Jerry Springer - the Opera when it was screened by the BBC. The musical, a parody of his programme, was written by comedians Stewart Lee and Richard Thomas.

"I wouldn't have written it. I don't believe in making fun of other religions or in saying things that could be insensitive to other people's religions," Springer said in a pooled interview with the Press Association. "You would have to talk to the people that wrote it. I don't make religious jokes so I wouldn't have done it. But it's not up to me."

...Asked if the West End musical should have been shown on television, Springer said: "Perhaps not." He added: "I don't know why they decided to run it on the BBC, you would have to ask the BBC." The opera was far more offensive than his long-running TV show, he said.

|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/01/last-word-after-all-huffing-and.html|||1/25/2005 09:30:00 am|||||||||
|||