1/14/2005|||110573393050522128||||||
A FUNERAL IN OXFORD

Standing-room-only in one of the largest churches in the city, jazz musicians supplying a New Orleans farewell. Humphrey Carpenter's service this afternoon was a true reflection of his many and varied interests. I was really only there as an interloper: my wife got to know him while producing a radio documentary just weeks before he died. And now I found myself wishing I had had a chance to get to know him better.

Libby Purves, in her address, hailed him as a "rather dishevelled shooting star". His friend and collaborator Alec Hamilton raised laughter as he described how Carpenter, prolific to the end, had been working on a musical about coping with Parkinson's Disease. We were even treated to a reading of lyrics from one of the songs. Set to the melody of "Puttin' On The Ritz", it was called "Puttin' On My Socks". And, naturally, it was stylish and witty and just about perfect.
|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2005/01/funeral-in-oxford-standing-room-only.html|||1/14/2005 07:58:00 pm|||||||||
|||