10/17/2004|||109805358031523004||||||
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY (OR FOR THE YEAR, FOR THAT MATTER)

I've just finished reading "The Rosenberg File", Ron Radosh and Joyce Milton's comprehensive account (updated in 1997) of the trial and execution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. As Radosh points out, some people involved in the campaign to exonerate the couple were not happy about the prospect of having the case re-opened. One of the principal players (who remains anonymous) was at least honest enough about his lack of honesty. Radosh recalls:

When I requested a meeting, I was asked what more there could possibly be to write about since so much had already been said. I responded with a litany of the unanswered questions that still troubled me, only to be asked, quite curtly, "Are you interested in the historical truth?" I replied that as a historian, this was one of my principal concerns. The person I was speaking to retorted: "At this time and juncture that we're living in, do you think this is helpful? How will the historical truth hurt the establishment." He then went on to explain that he was a radical, not a liberal, and that in the present era it was best that the historical truth should not come out.

|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2004/10/thought-for-day-or-for-year-for-that.html|||10/17/2004 11:32:00 pm|||||||||
|||