10/23/2004|||109853753079504170||||||
BROTHER RAY, R.I.P.

Writing in Slate, Ray Charles's biographer, David Ritz, is disappointed with director Taylor Hackford's new film portrait, Ray. Ritz's raw, unflinching book, co-authored with Charles himself, is one of the essential pop music reads, the antithesis of today's homogenized celebrity sketches.
It's one of my regrets that I'm too young to have seen Charles in his prime. Whenever I caught his shows, as his career tailed off, I had the uncomfortable impression that he was going through the motions. Worse still, he often seemed aware that he was not living up to his own high standards. There were still some wonderful moments, but I can't help recalling the time, mid-way through a show at the Festival Hall, when he humiliated his big band's bass player by making him stand up and play an E-flat over and over. Not a pretty sight. The one consolation that night was the support act, a little-known young singer called Diana Krall.



|||Clive|||http://clivedavis.blogspot.com/2004/10/brother-ray-r.html|||10/23/2004 01:53:00 pm|||||||||
|||